Week 9: From Beginning to End – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 9: From Beginning to End

Although these last 9 weeks have been challenging, they have been extremely rewarding as well. After reading my letter, I realize that I was very optimistic about what I would be able to accomplish over the course of my internship. My goal in the beginning was to not only plan a successful health and safety fair, but to also to make a positive impact on the Detroit community in some way. I believe that the optimism that I had is what helped me get through the different trials that I faced and to keep going when I felt that I couldn’t.

There were times throughout the program that I questioned my purpose and if my work was really going to make the impact that I wanted it to. There were times when my frustration would cast doubt on whether I was capable of making an impact, but the optimism and drive that I had allowed me to get through the times. Sierra and I planned a great event that I do wholeheartedly believe made the impact that I expected. Community members came out, signed up for health and safety resources, fellowshipped with each other, and had a great time. We helped provide better access to health and safety resources, and I am proud of the end result.

I came in unaware of the amount of work that goes into event planning, so my expectation was extremely different from my reality. As far the city of Detroit, I knew that it has always been full of potential. I have seen the passion, strength, and perseverance that the community members have. It has caused my love of the city and the amazing people that live there to grow even more. I am extremely thankful for this opportunity and all of the great people that I have met along the way!