6/5/2019 Week 1 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

6/5/2019 Week 1

Dear Carson,

My expectations for this Summer are that I will get to know a lot of people. Since I am a nervous person to begin with, I start this program with some apprehension. Hopefully, I will be able to make the most of all these connections I will be forming with my peers. I know Josie and I are stuck with each other <3 so that is at least one friend I’ve got in the bag. One perception I have of this new living space in Detroit is that I do not really fit in. As a white person who is technically an outsider to the city, I have the privilege of unknowingly contributing to the gentrification of Detroit. Josie has already come up with the great idea of not eating from chains in Detroit so as to mitigate this effect. I’ll have to stay cautious and knowledgable about the consequences of my actions.

As for my organization, LearnEarly, I hope to be able to bring in creative ideas to help children to grow. Josie and I have already come up with some cool ones. We’re both well organized as well, so I think those skills will benefit LearnEarly.

Love,

Carson

7 thoughts on “6/5/2019 Week 1”

1. Brandon David Meinders

I agree with what you said regarding feeling like an outsider. Large cities can be quite intimidating to begin with, and the historical and cultural background of Detroit only seems to amplify that effect. I like the idea of not eating at chains a lot! I hadn’t really thought about that but it’s an easy way to negate the effect you discussed.

1. That’s true. Detroit has a very deep and heavy history. The significance is both really cool and intimidating.

2. Diamond Buchanan

Hi Carson,

As a Detroiter, know that you are welcome in the city! You are not solely responsible for everything your race has done but being mindful of your privilege is key. Detroiters are truly funny individuals, don’t be nervous just be yourself because they will definitely try to crack you out of your shell. Wishing you the best at your internship and finding other friends in the cohort.

3. I love that y’all have decided to not eat at chains in order to support local businesses! I feel like that’s a good practice wherever we are – but I think that we should all be more cognizant of eating local. 🙂

1. Where I’m from there are only chains! But in a big city there’s a lot more chance to explore other options. So true

4. Josephine Kate Graham

Loved reading this, Carson, and the thoughtful comments! Very happy I get to work with you every day–I would be so lonely and bored at work without you!