Week Two: What is Soulardarity? – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week Two: What is Soulardarity?

I’m working at Soulardarity this summer. They are a nonprofit in Highland Park working to make sure residents of Highland Park have control over their own utilities, especially options for solar energy. They are a collection of community members working to hold government accountable, fight energy monopolies, and build a green and just future!

My current project is helping to finalize the Blueprint for Energy Democracy, a document that outlines the dreams and plans of Highland Parkers for a just economy based on renewable energy.

I’m helping make sure the document makes sense to someone without a background in energy and legal stuff, and also providing case studies. Tonight was a community caucus to start turning the plan into action which was exciting.

So far my time in Highland Park and Detroit has been really good. I’ve been enjoying cooking for my roommates and getting started on projects at Soulardarity.

1 thought on “Week Two: What is Soulardarity?”

1. Brenda A Harvey

Miriam,

Solidarity sounds like a really great place to work. I really appreciate having you as a roommate this summer, it’s been great. I think everyone appreciates your cooking and everything you made has turned out to be very good.

-Brenda