Week Two – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week Two

Brilliant Detroit is invested in providing resources for Detroit neighborhood associations to better build their community. While Brilliant is primarily focused on the education and growth of young children, the fact that child growth involves more than just education (such as health and family) makes it so that Brilliant provides for the family as a whole. Brilliant Detroit truly reflects its mission statement through all branches of its organization. It doesn’t enter neighborhoods without being welcomed by associations built by and for the neighborhood. They also work to hire from within the neighborhoods to better interact with and represent the neighborhoods’ needs.

Their recent Asset Based Community Development project best represents Brilliant’s commitment to its mission and is also what I’m working on this summer. It relies on the belief that investing in the latent skills and talents of neighborhoods better develops struggling communities rather than just preaching change yet providing services from an isolated institution.

My Detroit experience has been great so far. Brilliant Detroit has allowed me the opportunity to meet many different personalities that add color and passion to Detroit’s character.