Week 8: Events & Group Meeting Reflection – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 8: Events & Group Meeting Reflection

I feel like the events and group meetings we had were a great way for us to learn about Detroit in different ways, and also to bond as a group. The historical walking tours we went on were really eye-opening and taught me a lot about the history in the streets we were walking on. I think those tours definitely shaped a lot of my perceptions and understanding of what the city has gone through in terms of systemic racism and social injustices. We also learned a lot of things that I don’t think many people would be able to find out about on their own. Like, the boards we always stopped at during the tours had a lot of basic historic information on them, but you kinda wonder who wrote them/sponsored them, and if they’re telling the whole truth, and not just one side of the story. So, learning about the history from Jamon Jordan felt like we were getting the full story and not just a surface-level version.

1 thought on “Week 8: Events & Group Meeting Reflection”