Media to the Rescue… for Once – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Media to the Rescue… for Once

Even though this news article is slightly old, and isn’t even a news article but a video, I still remember it as one of the most striking things I saw for a while. The New York Times covered a special segment of the police’s tactics against the protests in Philadelphia. Specifically, the video highlighted the SWAT team response on a peaceful protest march in Philadelphia on June 1. After interviewing multiple witnesses and analyzing videos from bystanders to reconstruct what had happened, the video showed the SWAT team purposely trapping protestors and using military tactics to spray tear gas. I remember watching this video and feeling downright sick to my stomach. I couldn’t continue watching for a bit, having to catch my breath, from anger and sorrow and despair that police brutality had to be used against a protest about police brutality.

Funny enough though, almost immediately (literally the same day) after the New Times published this video of the visual investigation of the police against the protestors, Philadelphia Police temporarily banned tear gas for crowd control. It’s disappointing that a protest which happened on June 1st is only considered after a news company exposes the horrors of what happened 24 days later rather than immediately. But, I wanted to highlight how the media can at times be useful and be effective in helping the sweeping reform we want to see in this country. The New York Times is by no far unbiased or the best news company out there. But, in today’s society where all it seems the media does is twist the truth and facts to however they see fit, I found this kind of action almost reassuring? I don’t know if that’s the right word for it. Nevertheless, I found it encouraging to see consequences follow through and actions were taken against injustices, even if they are baby steps.

1 thought on “Media to the Rescue… for Once”

1. This point you make is so important! While the media has been demonized recently, especially by the American Right, it is such an important institution. Though as you pointed out our news media certainly isn’t faultless, we *need* reporting to serve the role of watchdog, exposing corruption and injustice. Thanks for pointing this out.