Week Six Blog – Free form, write about anything you want related to Detroit, the program, and/or your community placement. – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week Six Blog – Free form, write about anything you want related to Detroit, the program, and/or your community placement.

I’m going to use this space to repost a reflection that I saw on Instagram. I resonated with me and I hope you can find meaning in it, too.

“I think one of the biggest enlightenments we can have as young women is the very truth that happiness, success, and fulfillment aren’t destinations. That there won’t be an ‘arrival’ nor a sudden and dramatic shift that signifies our place as having ‘made it.’

We are ever changing. Daily, like the best of our grandmothers recipes, we are simmering in our being. Getting better – moment by moment. Ingredients of ourselves constantly being stirred in, sifted out. New interests, bolder creativity, perhaps a shift in value or a change of heart.

How unfair to make the future version of yourself contingent only on today’s set of understandings and aspirations.

How rude to define her happiness by only what brings you joy today.” – Rachel Cargle

I really like this quote. So often, I catch myself wishing for the future; to be out of one situation and into another. In high school, I couldn’t wait to graduate and get to college. Now, I can’t wait to leave this pandemic behind and reach into a better, more hopeful future. I catch myself thinking of that destination that this quote speaks of. And then – quicker than I want – it arrives. And I realize what Rachel Cargle does in her quote – that happiness and fulfillment and success isn’t actually a destination. I look back at the times I wished away – high school, quarantine – and can see the happiness and fulfillment I had, but missed. This summer I’m working on staying present; appreciating the moment: I have learned to love this quiet time at home – watching my garden grow. Baking bread. Exploring my passions. Spending time with my family and friends who I would not have seen had this DCERP program been in Detroit. It has brought me so much peace – the peace I was searching for when I was roiled in anger and tears after losing the last quarter of my freshman year.

1 thought on “Week Six Blog – Free form, write about anything you want related to Detroit, the program, and/or your community placement.”

1. Hi Sasha, thank you for sharing this reflection!
    I completely relate to the feeling of wanting to get “this period” of my life over with. I learned quickly that this is the easiest way to miss out on life because not only are you rushing past the bad parts, but you fail to acknowledge anything good that happens during that time. One thing that helped me stay present and intentional was practicing yoga. It gives me the perfect balance of physical and mental stimulation.