Summer Learning – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Summer Learning

Over the course of 8 weeks, I had not expected to learn the amount of knowledge I had over the short (but surprisingly fast) amount of time. I enjoyed all of the guest speakers that had come and talked to our group, I can confidently say that I learned something new from each speaker. Specifically, listening to DeAndre really resonated with me because I am interested in pursuing a career in public policy. He and among the other speakers are great mentors and advocates that have inspired me through the program.

After having the opportunity to listen to everyone’s learning groups and working with my group, “Food Insecurity.” It was nice to have key take away points that can influence my work in the future and strengthen topics I already knew while also giving me diffrent perspectives on the issues at hand. For example, I appreciated how the immigration group had a key speaker come and talk about her organization’s work and what immigrants/refugees have to endure to not only come to the country but once they do come to the country what struggles they have to face stay.

Overall, Summer 2020 has been one of the most transforming and educational summers. I’m grateful to have had this opportunity to learn with my cohort.

🙂