Week 4: NSO’s Culture of Care – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 4: NSO’s Culture of Care

At NSO, the workplace culture is unlike anything else I have ever experienced before. First of all, everyone working there is incredibly busy. They spend long hours at the office, and each day seems to be packed to the brim with various meetings and other important operations that keep the organization running smoothly. Despite this, the leadership team always makes time to get to know their staff and show how much they care. During one recent leadership team meeting, for example, the first 10 minutes were spent recognizing the accomplishments of everyone and their children. In addition, Abby and I have been able to meet nearly everyone on the senior leadership team, including the CEO, Linda Little. This has been extremely rewarding for me, and I truly appreciate that they take the time to welcome everyone.

Furthermore, I really value the diversity at NSO. Coming from a small and predominantly white town, the change has been both challenging, but also refreshing. Everyone at NSO comes from a range of backgrounds, experiences, and expertise, and I am extremely glad to have the opportunity to learn from them.

2 thoughts on “Week 4: NSO’s Culture of Care”

1. I get the feeling of business at my site too! Everybody is constantly going above and beyond because they care so much, but I have also already learned a lot from watching people set boundaries

2. Brooklynne Bates

It is so interesting learning about similarities and differences between sites. For example, rather than working in an office space, I work in a mosque. I’m happy to hear that you find your work so rewarding!