My project involves a lot of interviews. I’m interviewing past students out of the organization’s program, as well as past (or continuing) community partners with DFA. I learned through this process that conducting interviews with people can be very difficult – the barrier of getting people to reconnect is tough.
The interviewing process also challenged me from an organizational standpoint. I set up a Google form that was only used by 1/30 people it was sent out to. Perhaps much of my efforts were not received. After switching to contacting people by phone number, responses got a little better. Then, after adding incentive there was slight improvement as well. More people were comfortable just doing a phone call, rather than Zoom, so my way of retaining the information was limited – I recorded the information by typing (thankfully I’m over the 80WPM threshold). Although I only got a handful of participants, they all were very passionate about DFA.
I’m finished with the interview phase of my research. Now, I plan to use the qualitative data I’ve collected this summer, and survey data collected by my organization last year to make recommendations for how the organization should continue with their Youth Career Support program, which is a mentorship between a local business and student.
Wish me luck,
p.s., here’s a couple of dishes I’ve made this summer