Week 9: The End Already? – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 9: The End Already?

Week 9. I can’t believe it! Over the course of this summer, I definitely think I have evolved and developed some more clarity on Policy in Detroit, and what it takes to advocate, plan, educate, and work in that space. After reading my first blog post, I think my thoughts stay the same, but are more developed now. One of my goals was to learn more about city/state/local governments and positions, as well as being apart of public policy driven spaces– and I did. I have learned about different sectors of government, listened into city council meetings, learned about the Mayoral race and office, etc. Although I am still learning, I definitely know way more than I did during my first week of the program. My work with CDAD has been nothing short of wonderful, and all-encompassing. My mentor, Ruth, stressed that she wanted to push me out of my comfort zone during my time with CDAD, and I was so thankful for that push. Ruth believing in me gave me a chance to throw myself in to work I had never done before, without the fear of failure or messing up. I still have alot to learn, but I am so thankful for my summer with DCERP and CDAD.

3 thoughts on “Week 9: The End Already?”

1. Brooklynne Bates

Hi Yasmine! Congratulations on accomplishing your goals during this program! You should feel proud of yourself. Your mentor seems amazing for having you step outside of your comfort zone while providing you with a safe environment to do so.

2. Hey Yasmine! I love the relationship that you have with your mentor (I mean, those balloons she got for you are truly adorable), and it sounds like you learned a lot through CDAD. Learning truly never does end, but you’ve come so far since the beginning and I can’t wait to see where you’ll go from here!

3. Yasmine!!! I’m so glad for all you were able to experience and learn this summer. I’m so glad to have met you, and all the other fellows, even though it is virtual for now, and I can’t wait to hangout when we are back in AA