Week 2: Friends of Parkside – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 2: Friends of Parkside

Reporting back for Week 2, starting with a little run-down! First, for my community placement, I’ve been assigned to work with Friends of Parkside, a non-profit organization located on Detroit’s east side. Since 1991, Friends of Parkside’s mission is to serve the needs of the residents of the Village of Parkside. From food drives and providing vaccinations to hosting senior bingo and job fairs, Friends of Parkside does their best to give every available resource to their residents. My project is to create and implement evaluations for their 13th Annual Health, Safety and Job Fair. Along with that, I’m required to provide a final report once the evaluations have been completed.

So far my experience in the DCERP Program has been truly refreshing. Perhaps it’s because it’s a summer program focused on community-engaged research, I have to say that I am learning so much about how important this form of research is, as well as its impact on different communities. Hearing the other fellows talk about their projects as well as the guest speakers and former DCERP fellows explain their work is all really inspiring and enlightening. So far, I’m looking forward to forming into groups so that we may begin working on our learning group project!

6 thoughts on “Week 2: Friends of Parkside”

1. Hi Dahika!
    Your site sounds really cool! I agree that there’s been so much to learn already this summer. Pretty much every person I’ve met has taught me something new, and I’m really excited to see how much more we can learn from our sites and each other as the summer progresses.

2. Dahika, your organization sounds amazing! The way you described it sounds like they have a good connection with the Parkside community. It’s great that they offer such a wide range of services, and it seems like you will be super helpful with the improvement of future fairs. I also loved hearing the past DCERP fellow speak last week and thought it was really helpful. I hope you have a good next week!

3. Hey Dahika! I remember listing Friends of Parkside as one of my top choices to work with this summer. Your non-profit’s mission is similar to the mission of my non-profit, Hope Village Revitalization. I can’t wait to hear more about how the Health, Safety and Job Fair goes!

4. Hi Dahika! Your organization sounds so great. I am excited for everyone to learn from each other, and all of the friendships that will be made through this program. I am also excited for our learning group project and what everyone will be doing!

5. Hi Dahika, I think it’s amazing that your org focuses on such a wide array of issues for a specific neighborhood because the local residents and the organization would be able to form a deep connection that a lot of other orgs can’t achieve. I’m excited to hear more!

6. I’m excited to hear more about Friends of Parkside and your project! Your non-profit sounds very resourceful and similar to mine. Keep up the good work!