Week 6: Where Do I Go From Here? – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 6: Where Do I Go From Here?

So far, I’ve mostly spoken about how much I love my site, my supervisor, all of the people I work with, and all of the things I get to work on. And I do love it. But this week, I’ve been reflecting a lot on where I go from here.

I’ve had the chance to work on several really interesting projects. I’ve been working with business associations, zoning codes, the city government, website development, historic preservation, orchards, grant proposals, and everything in between. The thing is, most of these projects are nowhere near their conclusion. Part of me is really invested. I want to keep working with this site. I want to see these projects to the end.

But in reality, I’m going to be taking 18 credits this fall, and I’ll have a part-time job, volunteer work, and more than one club to contend with. I’m trying to make progress on a major, a minor and a certification. I’m filling out paperwork to study abroad during the winter semester, applying for jobs next summer, and (still) trying to get my driver’s license. Chances are, I won’t be able to do much more with my site after this summer than help out in a pinch.

So then, what do I do? Where do I go from here in these last few weeks? If I’m working on all of these projects, where do I allocate my time and focus to give the most that I can to this community and this organization? To be honest, I still don’t have an answer. In all seriousness: does anyone have any suggestions?

2 thoughts on “Week 6: Where Do I Go From Here?”

1. Lisa, I can definitely relate with feeling like you have unfinished business with your site. You give something your all to not be able to see it through. I hope that you can leave this program with the knowledge that you did everything you could to make an impact at your organization and that accomplishment is worth celebrating!

2. I know exactly how you feel. It helps to remember that we are playing at least some role in advancing the mission of our organizations and that our work is moving their projects forward, even if we can’t be there to finish them. We still have some time to keep doing great things here! 🙂