Week 7: Elton Monroy’s Murals – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 7: Elton Monroy’s Murals

I read an article about Elton’s murals and how he started making the art in Detroit. The article mentioned that Elton came to the southwest Detroit area in 2014 and fell in love with it. He started making these murals because he felt that the Hispanic community was invisible to the rest of Detroit (mainly because there was a large population of immigrants without documentation). So he decided to make murals throughout Mexican Town to highlight the Hispanic culture and heritage. I really loved seeing a lot of murals down on Vernor street because I could feel the spirit of the culture and learn more about the Hispanic culture in this area. I feel like with his murals, Elton has helped the lives of his community be a part of something greater and given them new hope for the future generations to come 🙂

2 thoughts on “Week 7: Elton Monroy’s Murals”

1. Hey Edisa, thanks for sharing this info on Elton Durán and linking the article. I hope the trip to Mexican Town was a great experience (it sure seems like it)! In the article, he’s said to have described SW Detroit and Mexican Town to be considered almost like a different city altogether– would you agree? Either way, best of luck in these next two weeks!

2. Hey Edisa! These are such cool, beautiful photos of his murals! I had a great time visiting Mexican Town- thanks for your hard work organizing the trip! 🙂