Week 7: Social Justice – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 7: Social Justice

Our guest speaker Dr. Peter Kim stood out to me because I had never heard about the murder on Vincent Chin and the amount of hate towards Asians and Asian Americans in the auto industry. I was aware that foreign auto companies were a huge competitors for American auto industry but I had no idea it was taken to such extreme measures to the point Asian Americans became targets for hate crime and vehicles were being complete totaled using bats and sledgehammer. Then to hear that Vincent Chin was murder in a similar manner as foreign vehicles were destroyed, was more then heartbreaking, it was enraging. I remember a fellow stated that it is a reoccurring theme where Americans blame Asian Americans or anyone group of individuals who are not White for issues or ideas that have nothing to do with them. It is extremely enraging how much America takes out aggressive against everyone but White Americans, when White Americans are the root cause of so many issues, it is like Americans are in a state of denial. This is why I am passionate to take part in fighting for social justice to breakdown this state of denial.