Week 7: Woodward – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 7: Woodward

One thing about the DCERP Program that stands out to me is its location: the University of Michigan Detroit Center. It sits right on Woodward Ave, which is a street that holds much history. Due to the timing of our DCERP meetings (5:30), we get to see the busy street in action. This is the time of the day where Detroiters are getting off of work and making their ways home. Looking outside the Detroit Center, I see workers untie their ties, retrieve their cars from the parking lot, and drive down the bustling street. Woodward is quite beautiful. It not only holds the Little Caesars arena, but it surrounds Cass Corridor and leads us into downtown Detroit. Fancy new buildings and restaurants come alive, as they pile with new guests. It all seems so happy and adventurous, until I somehow look across the street, and I see a group of people waiting for the bus. Most look tired, maybe because of work…or maybe because they have to wait for the bus, but I can’t help notice their joyless appearance. These native Detroiters seem to sit and wait as the world moves around them, and I can’t help but to feel joyless.