Week 8: Financial Literacy & the Housing Crisis – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 8: Financial Literacy & the Housing Crisis

Though I’m still working through my project, it has challenged me very much so, but most importantly, it enhanced the way I look at the world. Learning about taxes has allowed me to understand how our society works, and who it works for. My project addresses many issues, but it highlights the matter of financial literacy throughout the black community, gentrification, and Detroit’s housing crisis. I’ve sat through many City Council meetings and listened to the public cry for help. Many native Detroiters, more specifically, black native Detroiters, are being pushed out of their homes and are being forced into hotels and onto the streets. Recently, even hotels are evicting this particular group of people. In addition, due to the lack of knowledge about money and how our system uses it, this leaves space for vulnerability. It allows black people to be left out of the equation.

This makes me understand the importance of my project even more and I am thankful that I was chosen to complete it.