Week 1 Blog Post – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 1 Blog Post

Hey everyone! My name is Wisdom and I’m a rising junior planning on majoring in psychology and minoring in community action and social change. I’m excited about our experience this summer. A community is a group of people that one find commonalities with and progress together. I am a native Detroiter and it’s very important to create the change I want to see in the world by starting at home. Unfortunately, Detroit gets a bad rep due to stereotypes and implicit biases that are not true of every resident in the city. However, programs like DCERP recognize firsthand the positive impact multiple organizations are having on Detroit and its community. I wanted to contribute and highlight more of the uplifting aspects of my city. One of the strengths that I have brought to this experience is sharing my ideas and being open-minded to new perspectives. I look forward to strengthening my ability to be flexible and explorative. Toward the end of the program, I’ll be excited to see that I’ve learned more about my hometown and made long-term connections with wonderful people.