Week Four – Ahmed أحمد – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week Four – Ahmed أحمد

Assalamu Alaikum (peace be unto you) everyone,

One thing that struck me while reading How to Kill a City was the astonishing power of a few wealthy individuals to transform and take control of an entire city completely. It was truly alarming to discover how influential these affluent individuals are in Detroit, being able to exercise their authority without regard for the city’s governing bodies. In the past, I used to believe that the arrival of wealthy people in impoverished neighborhoods was a positive development. I thought that their investments in property, tax contributions, and establishment of new businesses would undoubtedly benefit cities like Detroit. However, my perspective has evolved as I’ve realized that the situation is far more complex. The nature of the businesses established by wealthy individuals and the target audience they cater to are crucial factors in determining whether their ventures will genuinely benefit the city.

I find it challenging to envision how Detroit can recover and harness the potential of these gentrifiers to its advantage. We may only witness positive outcomes resulting from the influx of wealthy people once they genuinely integrate themselves into the fabric of the Detroit community. If gentrifiers continue to view Detroit as a blank canvas, devoid of its rich history and existing communities, I fail to see how they could contribute meaningfully to the city and its residents as a whole. I now understand why my coworkers hold a negative perception of Downtown Detroit and react with annoyance whenever it is mentioned. Detroit doesn’t need disconnected high-priced condos; it needs individuals willing to embrace the existing community rather than displace it.

Walaikum Assalam (and upon you be peace),
Ahmed

2 thoughts on “Week Four – Ahmed أحمد”

1. Claire Thomson

Hi Ahmed! I completely agree – it’s disturbing to see how a select few developers and business owners are able to transform the city on the basis of wealth rather than support from the city’s people. I also struggle to imagine a solution to the problem of gentrification, particularly because the budgets of cities like Detroit are geared towards a constant flow of income from developers and wealthy newcomers. However, I hope that through the kind of work being done by community organizations and on a grassroots level, Detroit will be able to undo the processes of gentrification, without relying on those responsible for gentrification in the first place.

2. Hi Ahmed! I really loved your last line that the city needs individuals who will embrace Detroit’s community rather than displace it. This book is a great way to gain a deeper perspective and insight into how many natives view downtown Detroit like you mentioned as well.