Week Five Blog – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week Five Blog

Hi everyone, I can’t believe that we are already halfway done with our program! These past few weeks have been a range of emotions that have made my time here exciting. Looking back, during my first few weeks at work, it was a bit difficult navigating what to do and finding the courage to reach out for help. I always find that being in a new environment is hard to get accustomed to. It’s something that I continue to work on but I’m grateful that I had people to reach out to and relate to in DCERP. Since we’re only here for the summer, I was not expecting everyone to get along as well as we do now. We’re constantly making plans to meet up and talk with one another. It’s nice to know that at the end of each day, we all have each other that we could rely on for help. The twice-weekly meetings are also something that I find myself looking forward to. We’ve had the pleasure of listening to such amazing people speak to us about the work they do and also see what Detroit has to offer during our outings. Each day I’m learning so much more about a city that’s only 30 minutes away from where I live. With the rest of the time I have left in this program, I hope to continue learning about the city of Detroit and explore the areas that I haven’t had the chance to see.

3 thoughts on “Week Five Blog”

1. I agree! I’m looking forward to going to more events in the city before our summer concludes 🙂

2. Hi Emily, I’m glad that you’ve been having such a meaningful experience this summer, both with your project and with the community of fellows! It’s certainly been rewarding for me to see everyone settling in, working hard and having some fun as well!

3. I agree Emily, it has been so rewarding to work with other students that are working in different fellowships but have similar mindsets surrounding the work we are doing! It feels like we get to get different and similar perspectives all at once!