My site is Southwest Detroit Business Association (SDBA). As its name suggests, it is located in Southwest Detroit where the majority of the population is of Hispanic origin. On SDBA’s site, their mission is as follows:

“We work with investors, entrepreneurs, customers, and neighbors to capitalize on Southwest Detroit’s competitive advantage. We support our community’s vision for a healthy, vibrant neighborhood.

The Association is a coalition of businesses and community interests committed to facilitating the continuation and enhancement of a stable, economically healthy Southwest Detroit. We accomplish this by employing strategies that support existing business and industrial enterprises, enhance the climate for public and private investment and economic growth, and act as a vehicle for cooperative ventures that support economic development in Southwest Detroit.”

In short, SDBA tries to facilitate an environment where local business can flourish by advocating for the merchants and investing in the merchants. I think SDBA’s personal mission also goes further than that. At SDBA, they are very passionate at preserving Southwest Detroit’s unique culture by offering an after-school program called COMPAS. COMPAS exposes kids to different cultural arts and music in hopes of cultivating more artists that represent this culture.

My summer research project all about improving efficiency internally and getting to know the community. I will be working closely with my mentor, Brandi, to integrate information systems and automate certain tasks so that more time can be spent interacting with the community. I will also be sitting in with members of the association to learn about each aspect of the non-profit such as real estate, outreach, and etc.

My DCERP experience so far has been great. The people in both DCERP and at my site are nice and encouraging. I have had many meaningful conversations within the week and feel like I am making an impact on both communities!

I look forward to another great week with all of you!