Week 6 – Taking Pics of Houses … and stuff – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 6 – Taking Pics of Houses … and stuff

This week was a little different. I was given a lot of little projects to do which were cool because I thought they were kinda fun.  First my supervisor asked if I could color code the status of businesses in our community on a map of all 5 neighborhoods. Each map has little boxes called parcels that represent the properties in that neighborhood and I simply colored them orange if they are vacant and green if they are occupied. I must admit I love coloring so this was very fun to me. Then I realized how difficult and time consuming it became! The boxes are really really tiny and there’s a lot of them. On top of that I have to do each neighborhood three times to represent three different time periods. It was fun at first, but now its just tedious!

Thursday my supervisor gave me several little projects to work on which were actually pretty fun. I had to make a list of all the houses that are foreclosed in Grandmont Rosedale because GRDC is trying to reach out to these homeowners to try to prevent their properties from going into the auction. I was also asked to take pictures of all of them! Honestly I was way more excited than I should have been, but I was just really happy to be able to get out of the office. There were a few houses that I could not get pictures of because people were actually sitting on the porch and I’m sure if they would have seen me take a picture of their house it would cause trouble. It was really nice to get out of the office though!

I was trying to get a picture of this foreclosed house but these three kids were playing on the porch, knocking on the door, having a good ol' time! haha. I remember these days!
I was trying to get a picture of this foreclosed house but three kids were playing on the porch, knocking on the door, having a good ol’ time! Haha!

Some houses were really taken care of like this one is well kept, clean, cut grass, and the houses looks to be in shape
Some houses were really taken care of like this one is well kept, clean, cut grass, and the house looks to be in shape.

And there were some houses that were really bad. The grass and bushes are so overgrown you can't even see the house. This house is scheduled for demolition.
And there were some houses that were really bad. The grass and bushes are so overgrown you can’t even see the house. This house is scheduled for demolition.

2 thoughts on “Week 6 – Taking Pics of Houses … and stuff”

1. Taking photos of the houses sounds like fun! and a nice break from being indoors/in the office like you said. The second house looks reeaally good, I’m very impressed with the neighbors/GRDC/whoever keeps that foreclosed house looking good (was that one a recent foreclosure?).
    I love coloring too! But tiny boxes and coloring the same thing over and over don’t sound very exciting…

2. Sitting in the office all day is boring. I’m glad you were able to have fun and take pictures!! It seems like it would be hard getting in contact with the owners of the foreclosed houses.

U-M Privacy Statement
Accessibility at U-M