First Week Down … Plenty More To Go! – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

First Week Down … Plenty More To Go!

I am working at the Grandmont Rosedale Development Corporation which is a non-profit organization that works to revitalize and better the Grandmont Rosedale community. GRDC works to increase safety and decrease crime in the neighborhoods, renovate vacant homes, beautify the neighborhood, as well as put on many programs and volunteer opportunities for the community to get involved.

This first week has been pretty chill. My supervisor is great, extremely flexible, and very knowledgeable about what she does and I consider her a great person to learn from. (On a side note, GRDC is located in a very small building so I didn’t really have a work space, but my supervisor was kind enough to throw together a small table with office supplies on it and I thought that was very nice of her!)  First day was pretty much a meet and greet with everyone and an orientation to the project I would be working on as well as expectations of myself. My project is to create a vacant property manual that basically informs residents of ways to prevent their house from becoming vacant/prevent foreclosure, ways to make a vacant house look occupied and what to do when a house has become vacant and also what to look out for.

I was given a layout of what my supervisor would like for me to include in the manual and my job now is to research these topics. Already I have learned so much about my neighborhood!

This first week was fairly simple, but I look forward to the weeks to come!

2 thoughts on “First Week Down … Plenty More To Go!”

1. Your introduction to the GRDC’s work is much easier to understand than mine was haha. We should eat lunch together one day!