Week 2 @ Detroit 300 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 2 @ Detroit 300

This week was a very cool week. It was high stress in the office because the brochure for all our summer events was scheduled to be printed today and one of the main headliners (Bob Marley’s band, the Wailers) wasn’t confirmed until about 4pm yesterday. But now that that is sorted out, everyone’s excited for the great events we have planned (and relieved that the summer event schedule is pretty much complete). This week was opening week for events at the park and it’s been very cool to hear bands blasting music right outside our window!

My research project revolves around attending and evaluating events and I got to attend my first event this week. It was the “Mascot Challenge” where the Mascots from Metro-Detroit teams (e.g. Paws, the Lions’ mascot) compete and throw free stuff to the crowd. My job was, among other things, to count the number of people (guestimating age etc.) in different areas of the park during the event. My favorite part of the Campus Martius so far is the beach area (new this summer!) and I loved being able to sit there to count people!
photo 2
(Photo: the Beach — can you tell why I love the beach?)

1 thought on “Week 2 @ Detroit 300”

1. I LOVE that you are out in the community. Sounds like a great experience with high energy.

I can definitely tell why you love the beach.