River Days, AMC and Summer…oh my! – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

River Days, AMC and Summer…oh my!

Haha ok, so this week was very chill compared to our last two weeks. We spent the first half of the week in the office setting up meetings with community members and getting some logistical details figured out but on Wednesday, Kerrel and I went to the Allied Media Conference (AMC).

The AMC is like a social justice conference essentially and they focus on how we can use different mediums of media to raise awareness about various issues.The people at this conference came from all over the country and even Canada! It was really great to sit down and talk with them abou their work because they’re all very involved with social justice and community work as well. There were interpretive dances and poems to showcase the meaning of decolonization in culture, seminars on research justice and even a political burlesque show. All of which that were equally insightful and interesting. Besides the AMC, this week was packed with a lot of other events happening in Detroit. River Days festival was this weekend so a lot of the people from the dorm went down and then of course summer officially started as well…..I’m just going to say that I’m so glad we have air conditioning here.

I’m glad we had a more relaxing week, but this upcoming week is going to be very busy. We have a rally on Tuesday where the Sierra Club and another organization over in Canada is going to participate in. It’s to raise awareness about the PetCoke piles so we have to make our signs early Tue and then head out at 7pm for the rally. That’s all for now!

My first elephant ear. This is what happens when you save the best for last and it’s really windy outside. #sad #neveragain #toowindy

2 thoughts on “River Days, AMC and Summer…oh my!”

1. I’d reallyt like to participate in a conference like this, it sounds so fun and a little unconventional. I hope the rally went well and I can’t wait to hear about it!

2. Such a great opportunity! Lucky your org paid for it too haha. It’s a great time to be around other students and experience what diversity is all about. Sorry for the elephant ear, I don’t even know what it is maybe we can grab one together haha