Week 2 Patience – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 2 Patience

Week two I decided to call the convenient stores Fresh Corner Cafe has their products in. I knew it was going to be challenging, but not irritating. People can be extremely rude at times without any cause.

I called one store; they kept passing the phone to different people. Each time I had to re-explain why I was calling. Even though I asked them about their customers’ purchases, one said, ” We don’t want what you are selling”. I did not say one word about me selling something, so I dont know where she got that from.

Another employee, from another store, had the worst attitude. He tried my patience. I am patient with a person until they have an attitude.I had to restain myself from going off because I represent Fresh Corner Cafe, not Ebony. This man deserved the wrath of my tongue. I controlled myself for the most part, but now and then I cut him off and corrected him in a respectable tone.

That day I learned that over the phone people have more courage than in person.

2 thoughts on “Week 2 Patience”

1. Oh goodness, that sounds like a really frustrating week! Good job at staying polite and professional. Last week I had to call a bunch of people to interview them about their organization’s structure, and they all acted like I knew absolutely nothing about the special assessment concept. I usually knew more than them, in fact, but had to just go along and play nice. Oh the joys of cold phone calls!

2. Oh my…
    I know that is hard to keep calm in some situations, but I hope that you will continue to keep your cool. You did a good job handling the situation, and please do not let this problem from distressing you.