This week w FSEP – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

This week w FSEP

This week I’ve really been trying to contact new people, and organize the information I have into the literary review that will be my final product. I know this is something many people experience in their jobs but it is so frustrating when people don’t call you back! From now on I’m forever answering emails promptly because it is not fun to wait and guess whether it’s not reaching them etc etc. It hasn’t been a very exciting week in terms of the work I’ve been doing, and I’m nervous that my supervisor is concerned that I haven’t been able to reach the last few people. Yesterday I talked with the ladies in my office about the gardens they all have at home; Maggie is growing 120 feet of tomato plans, along with tons of other produce, which she eats and shares and sells at the Eastern Market; how cool! I’m going to see her garden next week. Last night, there was a seed distribution through the Garden Resource Program at Earthworks Farms. A few organizations have partnered up and they distribute seeds to people growing produce in their gardens in Detroit; some gardens are for personal families, some are community gardens, and some people grow produce and sell it at Farmers Markets. It was a nice event, and I got to talk to a bunch of people about how they feel the program is working. Most people are very pleased, and it allows people who want to live sustainably and eat fresh foods to do it at their own homes, and not depend on outside forces.