week 7 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

week 7

On Wednesday I was able to cross paths with Jasmyne at her Health Fair. Congrats to Jasmyne for putting together an awesome Health Fair for Friends of Parkside!!! It was super well organized and run! I was at the health fair to raise awareness of our Good Food Good Jobs campaign- which is currently stuck in city council. We are running a postcard campaign to show city council that there is widespread community support for such legislation. Unfortunately city council does not have much power at the moment but we are hoping to send them in after upcoming election. I was also able to sign people up for our free classes. ROC-MI offers two free classes. The first is a part-time intro course on serving and bar-tending and the second is a full time (potentially paid) class that includes experience serving customers in our restaurant COLORS!.

Now that my literature review is completely finished (it was even sent into the funders!) I have been working on interviews. Last Monday I went into the part-time class and had the students interview each other for our upcoming raise the minimum wage campaign. ROC-MI uses workers stories to highlight the issues but also to show who is being hurt by the status quo. I spent a few days last week developing and fleshing out interview questions for them to ask. Unfortunately many of the students did not understand that we wanted a complete story and they answered simply yes or no to the questions. It was a great learning opportunity as a facilitator about the importance of training the interviewers and  explaining why you want the interview in the first place.