Working to the endless chorus of childrens’ laughter. – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Working to the endless chorus of childrens’ laughter.

I know I’ve mentioned before about the church I work in. I occupy a tiny, windowless back office, and I used to often spend my days there never seeing another soul.
Well, I see a lot of people now. Small people. Genesis Lutheran Church began its summer program last week, so now, instead of the deafening silence, I get to work in the deafening roar of dozens of children who are apparently having a lot of fun. I’m still undecided as to whether this is a positive diversion or a terrible distraction, but it certainly is a huge change in the work environment.
Imagine me, still alone in my windowless back office, but now with countless high-pitched voices of squealing children. Children singing, playing games, having watergun fights, with the occasional interruption with the booming voice of “The Coach”, the supervisor who may or may not have any other name. He is a huge, 6-foot-something wall of a guy, who indeed has spent most of his life coaching athletes, but is now using the same skills to coach young program attendees in ways of praising God and having fun.
Of course, he does a great job, but the sound of The Coach coaching little kids who are just having a good time is quite an amusing background noise to work in. And I swear, I have never heard a louder iteration of “Hallelujah!” sung by elementary school children in my entire life.

Otherwise, things are pretty much the same as always. A lot of time has been spent arranging and rearranging data in spreadsheets, scouring the internet for databases and national averages, and more rearranging data in spreadsheets. Except now, I get to do it with the sounds of an eight hour recess right outside the door. I’ll just do my best to trick myself into believing that I’m having a lot more fun than them.

2 thoughts on “Working to the endless chorus of childrens’ laughter.”

1. Sounds entertaining!
    Hope you can convince yourself you’re having more fun them, who needs an 8-hour recess when you can work with spreadsheets for that same 8 hours?