A Wonderful Lunch – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

A Wonderful Lunch

The other week, I had lunch with a woman who I really wanted to meet and who I wanted to be my mentor.

When I look at someone, I try to read them. When I went to the Social Entrepreneurship conference with Fresh Corner Cafe, a few weeks ago, I noticed a woman who looked like someone I had to meet and talk to. I noticed this woman in one of the breakout sessions. She was not apart of the panel, but was apart of the crowd. When she spoke, she commanded the room; she was confident, intelligent, self-aware, annointed, poised, colorful, ambitious, strong, and aggressive. After I heard her speak, I knew she would make a great mentor for me.

Later that afternoon, I saw the woman talk to Noam, my supervisor, for a moment. The woman knew Noam. I wanted to introduce myself to the woman, after she judged the competion, but it was too many people around her. I had another opportunity to introduce myself during dinner, but I felt like it would be weird to introduce myself at that moment. That night I left without indroducing myself to her.

However, two weeks later, I asked Noam about the woman and he told me her name. Actually, him and her have a good relationship and have worked together in the past on a project. Moreover, he told me he was going to talk to her that evening about something and said he would tell her about me and try to introcuce us. I was ecstatic. Later that night, Noam emailed me their chat messages, her number, and briefly mentioned an empowering event of hers that was happening the next day.

I waited a couple of weeks before I called Yodit. When I did, we scheduled lunch for the 16th. We had lunch at Harmonie Gardens. This was the best place because Harmonie Gardens serves her favorite type of food. We were at the restaurant longer than I expected. The food was delicious. We both shared our stories and dreams. Yodit is the woman I perceived her to be. She is willing to help me with whatever I need. I told her I just needed motivation and for her to be there cheering me on.

Everyone needs people in their corner; one can never have too many. I am glad I was able to meet and befriend  someone who has a similar mindset as myself and who wants to see me succeed in everything I do.