Week Uno – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week Uno

The Detroit Food Academy sounds like it is going to be a cool place to work! Even after the first couple days, you can see how you are beginning to experience the city in a completely new way. Working within these new and thriving businesses is a great way to learn about how the city is changing and what this area may look like in the future. It is a very unique opportunity for someone your age. Although you may not always be working first hand with the community while at the site, you may begin to realize how important background research important for the growth of the communities and organization that you are working with.

The people at the academy and Green Garage are extremely friendly and more than willing to answer any questions you might have and show you more about their lives, so that’s good to keep in mind. I hope you will be able to have an actual impact on the organization and help them to create resources and develop new program ideas that will be able to further their overall cause. I also expect you will be learning a lot more information in the next coming weeks not only about the community, the academy, the research, but as well as about what you may possibly want to do in your future. Keep your eyes and mind open to new things throughout the course of the program, and try to get to know the midtown/downtown area a bit more now that you have an opportunity to really live there.

Thankfully, the organization has set up a work plan with you for lots of different projects to finish by the end of summer. This will definitely keep you busy, since you seem to have a bit of a problem sitting still at a computer for too long unless you are watching Game of Thrones. The summer looks exciting!

Good luck.

From, Yourself

1 thought on “Week Uno”

1. It’s great that you’ve thought about how working with your organization can help you to learn about how Detroit is changing. I hadn’t thought of that before and it’s exciting to know that our organizations are working to transform the future of the city. I also have the goal of getting to know downtown and midtown better so we can definitely work on that together! Lastly, in regards to your GoT comment, I can’t wait for next Sunday!