Exploring GRDC: Week 3 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Exploring GRDC: Week 3

It has been another great week at GRDC. As I spend more time at the organization, I really have gotten to understand that the organization really touches all areas of the Grandmont Rosedale community. This Tuesday we had our first all staff meeting. There I got to understand that GRDC is doing a ton of different things. A lot of the meeting I got to understand the different community revitalization projects and security committees that GRDC runs.  Sometimes working on just my survey, I can get cut off from learning about the different connections GRDC has in the community.  During the meeting I even got the idea to use some software that another part of GRDC is using in order to help update the database I was making. 

During this week I also got to do a more extended tour of the neighborhood. I finally got to see all the different spaces that make up the Grandmont Rosedale area. The tour was very surprising to me. There is a really big dichotomy between the Grandmont Rosedale area and the surrounding communities. It seems that many of the areas the are around GR are very run down.

Image

GRDC also does some really cool community events. Above is a picture of one of the signs for the farmers market. As part of my survey, I plan on trying to assess the effectiveness of these community events and see if I can engage more busnisses in them in order to increase visibility of the main business corridor.