Week Three: Views of Detroit from strangers (soon to be friends) – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week Three: Views of Detroit from strangers (soon to be friends)

I’ve been observing both my organization and my community during my past few weeks in Detroit. The Hope Village Initiative (HVI) department within Focus: HOPE is a fantastic environment to work within.

This is my department's (HOPE Village Initiative or HVI) logo!
My department’s logo!

Everyone is constantly developing or enhancing projects in order to work towards revitalizing the community and there are so many things going on in other parts of the campus that all work together towards the community’s vision. Although there are so many great aspects of the work space, coming in with new eyes makes me notice some things that my coworkers may not have thought of before. It’s great that so many programs are constantly going on or being developed and it would be even better if there was a way for all Focus: HOPE employees to know about these events. A few weeks ago, I invited my security guard friend to the block party meet and greet at the cool cities park. I was so surprised to hear that he had no idea about the event. It would be really great if the entire Focus: HOPE community knew about the projects so we could show support for each other and for those who work so hard to plan the events.

Focus: HOPE's new logo! I was excited to be in the office when the new logo was revealed!
Focus: HOPE’s new logo! I was excited to be in the office when this gem was revealed!

Something that I’ve observed about Detroit and those who live here is that almost everyone I’ve met wants to know where I’ve been in the city. When I tell them where I have or haven’t been, most people want to suggest their favorite spots in the D. I love hearing about people’s favorite architectural sites and restaurants. I try to keep my jaw shut while bananas foster pancakes is being described to me. I’ll definitely have to start jotting places down on my hand during conversations so I can put the suggestions in my notebook!

My "Detroit To Do" list so far!
My “Detroit To Do” list so far! (Don’t worry, there are actually many more bullet points)

4 thoughts on “Week Three: Views of Detroit from strangers (soon to be friends)”

1. Mac, I absolutely love your Detroit to-do list! I can totally relate to everything you said–my manager was telling me how much their appreciate young, fresh, vibrant students that come in with unique mindsets! It’s amazing to see how the small things all add up to the whole picture. I loved reading your blog!

2. Nice post Mac! I think it’s cool that you’re keeping your eye out for improvements within your workplace, and I hope you pursue and help correct that whole lack-of-communication problem. Oh and I agree with Huong, you’re to-do list is awesome…I looked up “bananas foster pancakes” by the way and yeah…those look amazing. Is there a place around here that sells those?

3. Hey there! Your Detroit to do list caught my eye right away. What an awesome idea! Like seriously what is the honey bee market? It sounds awesome! If you ever need anyone to go explore with feel free ask me! 🙂 Anyways though I love how much you’ve focused on collaboration, it cool that there’s so much going on in focus hope, but you’re totally right about making sure everyone know whats going on so that they can be more involved. Keep up the good work!

4. I love you Detroit to do list. I have one of my own that I hope to accomplish every one of them by the end of the summer. Also I can definitely relate to your post because sometimes when an individual finds him or herself doing the same thing almost everyday they may lost sight of some important aspect. However a fresh new eyes can definitely help them realize things they may never have thought about. Things opens the doors for more opportunities.