Entry #4: Culture & Stuff – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Entry #4: Culture & Stuff

I don’t even know how to go about this blog post. Working at DPS, an organization that is in the public sector has a different set of challenges and parameters. I would say a large amount of our office culture is unspoken and barely apparent (at least to me). The few DPS employes there are dress in classic business attire and are middle aged. Those who run the AmeriCorps volunteering program in part with the Go Green Challenge are a bit younger. For the most part everyone working here are White or African American. My boss grew up in Canada, learned a bit of french and then moved to the US. I’ve spent a little bit of time talking with my co-workers about trips abroad, many have traveled to Germany, Ghana, or places in Central America. Ultimately I think this is a difficult topic for me to pick up on in my work place since everyone is always so separated in their cubicles and busy with their work. If our work place was a bit more social I feel like I might have a better grasp on our “company culture”.