Cultural Cues at FOP – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Cultural Cues at FOP

My fourth week at Friends of Parkside is almost complete, and I believe that I have a very good sense of the organization’s culture. Workplace culture at Friends of Parkside is definitely influenced by several factors, mainly age. For example, the majority of staff at FOP, besides myself, Lauren, and another intern, are older adults. The age gap between these employees and myself sometimes frustrates me. Because of their age, these employees already have more in common with one another than with me, and it can be hard to discuss ideas. Also, sometimes I feel like an intern to them in addition to my boss! One last observation about age is that because most of the employees are senior citizens, they feel less inclined or less responsible for getting things done or following certain rules. 

Nonetheless, it is not so bad being surrounded by people so much older than me. This is mostly because the FOP office regularly is filled with kids, and their presence gives me a sense of relief most of the time. The children and other residents who come to the FOP office that I have come in contact with have all been black. This is something that I expect, and being from Detroit, it is something I am comfortable with. However, sometimes I feel out of place with the adult residents of the villages because they are not familiar with me. As a result, I feel kind of nervous talking to them, even when it’s part of my job to do so. It doesn’t help when they can be a bit more straightforward and brazen than I am used to. This is something I could probably learn from them however, since I consider myself too timid at times!

3 thoughts on “Cultural Cues at FOP”

1. Hey Shanene!
    I think its great that you get to work with kids. From what you’ve told me about your bicycle project, I think you are well suited to help out the children and provide a helpful and smiling face. I think it is an interesting point you bring up, about a culture of “brazeness”, with people who are more forward. I’ve experienced this too, not only in my workplace, but throughout my experiences in Detroit. Someitmes it has been a very positive experience (lots of helpful people genuinly interested in my work), but I’ve had some offputting incidents too, wherein people are very aggresive and harsh when I’d usually expect more reserved attitudes. I don’t think we often include “attitude” in our definition of culture…. but it definitively applies in this case!

2. I loved hearing about your work on Friday during the interview. Your organization sounds like so much fun, I’m jealous you get to work with kids sometimes 🙂

3. Shanene,
    I definitely can empathize with your feelings on working in an office of all older people; I feel that way a lot of the time as well. It would be cool to work with a lot of younger professionals or people around my age, so that we could connect with them more on a personal level or build a different kind of relationship with them.
    At the same time, I am happy to be around my coworkers who have more experience than me and can lend that experience to me, helping me put my own problems and worries in perspective; it is something that I have enjoyed about my workplace, although it is good in a different way from building the type of friendships I am used to.

I’m glad you have found some joy in working with kids this summer! I love working with kids too, so I am a little jealous!! I hope the rest of your work at Friends of Parkside goes well! -Chris