Teamwork makes the Dream work – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Teamwork makes the Dream work

So far it has been impressed on me that in a nonprofit, there is no such as a job description. Of course, I had an intimation of this concerning all jobs.

I figure that there is no such thing as an absolute job description in nonprofits or, in most organizations because of this simple cliche: Teamwork makes the Dream Work.

When one of your co-workers need help -you help them; when the whole office is working together on a project, you do it as well because you are a part of the office.

It doesn’t matter if the assignment is not in your job description -and it’s as simple as that?

Well not exactly especially when you are on a tight time schedule -as was the case in my situation.

Let me stop here and tell you why my monologue above is relevant to the this prompt, which is to describe an experience that one didn’t expect at placement.

I did not expect to work on any major project that was unrelated to my research.

However, I did. And it became overwhelming and I couldn’t find a balance between research and the major project. But after all the worry, I realized that I had co-workers working with me and we could do it.

The project was a major success and came together very well -and I must say the cliche is true: Teamwork makes the Dream Work.

But the word “Dream” is deceiving of course, because its not your dream work -or what you expect, but the best work for things to happen.

So next time you’re overwhelmed with work:

2 thoughts on “Teamwork makes the Dream work”

1. This is so true because the I learned this the first week at my placement. There wasn’t a specific task or job my supervisor had for both my co-worker and I. We basically worked on anything and everything in the office that needed to be done. For instance this past week we helped our supervisor organized the office in preparation of incoming furniture. I really don’t have a problem with this form of work.

2. Lol I love this post. SO TRUE!!! Teamwork in any situation is always the best policy. The great thing about nonprofit work is that we’re not competing with each other for a raise or promotion and we’re all just working to accomplish the “dream”!!!