Seminar Reflection – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Seminar Reflection

The Seminar with Emile Lauzzana was my favorite. At first it was slow, but then when Mr.Lauzzana became interactive it was truly life changing. I was able to reflect on my own life, and to think about how in this exact moment I am doing something that leads to my ultimate dream career is scary to think about. It scares me because it makes me remember that everything matters. Every single second that you spend each day all adds up to the rest of your life. If you chose to not be career orientated or if you chose to not aspire for bigger goals and dreams that is your choice, but if you chose to aspire, if you want to change the world, it starts NOW. Right at this very moment. It starts with developing a drive, a willingness to be out of your comfort zone, to challenge and push your own limits. It requires you to be vulnerable to failure, to take risks that could turn out really good or really bad. It starts with being able to reflect every day on what your dreams are and how you get to them. It’s great to dream but what’s more important is the process to accomplish your dream. Everyone has great ideas that can change the world, I’m sure more than one person thought about computers before they were invented, but who actually invested their life to the idea? Who actually got their hands on a product and started to develop it? Only one. The seminar with Mr. Lauzzana was so helpful to me because it was conversational and casual. He let everyone in our program talk and feel comfortable. He split us into groups and I was able to connect with people I haven’t connected with before. I learned so much about myself and I felt a huge boost of confidence that was much needed. I was inspired to meet more people and grow my network, because at the end of the day the people you have connected to make up little bits and parts of you.