A Collection of Random Thoughts (The Tuesday Night in July Addition) – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

A Collection of Random Thoughts (The Tuesday Night in July Addition)

Marimba Jungle Book music that’s probably making me more anxious and distracted than inspired or creative at this coffee shop. Like seriously, Great Lakes:what’s going on.

I feel like people should take themselves less seriously. When I walk into a coffee shop I don’t want to catch your eye looking me up and down, peering over your hipster glasses and Mac laptop or sketchbook or whatever. Adjusting yourself to make your perfectly coiffed mustache or sitting pose look more “hip” as if we’re living in some type of competition on who looks cooler. I really just want a friendly smile, maybe a Hello and to feel comfortable dancing a little jig with this weird beach music playing in the background. Let’s break this barrier of unfriendly or curious awkwardness. You’re all beautiful and fine, you’re all hip too. Lets just be friends. Don’t feel intimidated by me. Lets exchange some friendly conversation, its a coffee shop for goodness sakes, not an art museum. We’re not just some stiff, frozen art displays that want to be stared at but never approached. Stop being so deliberate and just let loose a little.

Coffee with a citrus tinge. Why is this a thing? Why do people like that their freshly ground coffee BEANS taste like a FRUIT (or vegetable, depending on your interpretation of the definition). Coffee should taste earthy and dark and more ‘vroom vroom’-esque. Not tangy and flimsy and meh. These coffees are already like $4-$5 (see pretentious coffee vibe above) and now I have to hold my breath to gulp this sh** down.

I just want all my readers to know that I’m not actually as cynical, condescending and sarcastic in person as I am when I’m writing. For some reason, I just like to rant my stream of consciousness into writing and it comes out more angry than I’m necessarily trying to portray. For more “angry” posts you should read my Twitter. Warning: It gets pretty political.

I’m staring at these very delicious looking cookies and scones and oh- so-mmmm-worthy treats and basically salivating. And then I think come on where are my vegan baked goods at? My first instinct is frustration and annoyance: all of these places should have vegan options, duh. Jump on the bandwagon already– its 2014!. But now that I think about it, I’m too spoiled. I need to be less of a snob about my lifestyle choices and expect others to adapt to accommodate me. Being vegan is a relatively new phenomenon and I’m not living in Ann Arbor right now with all the trendy and progressive restaurants. Also: Avalon Bakery closes at 6pm (I will never be able to make that happen on weekdays). So exercise self control and be grateful for all the food you have around you! The vegan whoopee pie from The Lunch Room in Kerrytown will be waiting for you in the fall.

There’s so many different news sources online from Slate magazine to Freep to CNN to The Atlantic to The Progressive to I don’t even know. I feel like I should be reading all of it all the time. There’s so much interesting news and information out there that I just want to absorb and learn about. Its my first instinct to read an article or news report and 100% blindly trust it and think I learned something new. But the older I get, the more I’m able to kind of lift that blind cover off and actually analyze an article for truth, bias, evidence, etc. These “writers” are just like you and me. Yes, there are experts writing about a certain field of interest that they have dedicated their lives to that I just can’t compete with. But some of these articles are just summary recaps of what the writer learned that day from another news article that is probably recapped from a different news blurb or blog and so on. I feel way more comfortable actually analyzing a report and even posting a comment when I feel that it is necessary to clarify or raise a question to whatever the article is about. This recent revelation has, predictably, landed me in some intense cyber-comment wars over political stances and social justice issues but hey, that’s good practice for when I have these real arguments in person. And as a highly opinionated activist and thinker, these arguments are what I just have to expect from time to time. Though I don’t necessarily like to force my opinion on others unless they want to be influenced or ask for it, a little debate is healthy 🙂

I wish online blogs had the option for me to use a stylus and draw around my writing. Then you would see what my actual sketchbook/journal looks like. Writing surrounding by silly lines and sketches and designs gives it way more character. Than you can really see into the weird crazy overextended web that is my mind and though processes. Not that any of you probably want to, but hey this is my blog and I’m allowed to project my random thoughts.

These random thoughts are always fluttering through my brain~ zip zip zoom zoom-in’ their way around.  I think that’s enough living in Noor-world la-la land for now. Back to the real world! Au revoir!

2 thoughts on “A Collection of Random Thoughts (The Tuesday Night in July Addition)”

1. I really loved this blog Noor! I must say you’ve helped me become a little less deliberate and more open to experiencing Detroit in a more spontaneous way. Cool thoughts, keep on ah thinkin’! vrrrooom.