The tenth and final blog post – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

The tenth and final blog post

Today, I started packing my bags, and today, I printed my final project and wrapped it in a bow.  It’s almost over and I’m almost back in Ann Arbor. Transition periods are always so beautiful to me because of the amount of reflection that happens. So here, I reflect: 

I will definitely look at this experience fondly. I met some of the most enduring, resilient, patient, caring, (the list could go on) people in my entire life. And like I said in my first blog post, I learned so much from them. They gave me an education that the University of Michigan can’t give me in a classroom. From the city council meetings that I attended to just the day to day office interactions, I gained insight of what community work is, in reality. It’s not a fairytale, but the people who do the work have something absolutely exceptional about them.  It humbled me in every sense working with community members who just care so much. 

In my first blog post, I also spoke of my desire to leave Nortown with something. And I think I did that. I just completed an 84 page park database… and it feels so good. I truly hope that it serves their purpose. I am glad that I am walking away accomplished and feeling helpful, instead of helpless (which I must admit, were a couple weeks in there). 

Some weeks were harder than others here, but overall I can say that I am proud and glad for everything. I was so affected by people and this space, and I’m sure I’ll be even more affected by it in a couple weeks when it hits me that I am gone. 

But at least I’m not to far away and I’ve made connections that I’ll never lose. 

1 thought on “The tenth and final blog post”