Week Two (2) Blog – Community Placement – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week Two (2) Blog – Community Placement

I feel incredibly fortunate to be placed with the Southeast Michigan Regional Energy Office (SEMREO). We share an office space and work closely with the Suburbs Alliance, which is making the transition to Metro Matters. At first all of these names were difficult to keep track of, but I think I’m starting to understand the name change now!

Our office is in Ferndale, just off of 9 Mile and Woodward. When I first met my team for lunch before the program started, I nearly walked right past the building. We’re situated between Pearle Vision and a guitar store. The door is slim and sort of sandwiched between its neighbors – easy to miss unless you’re looking for it! Once you find the entrance, there’s immediately a rather imposing set of stairs. Climb them and you’ll find a small hallway with a few other organizations and businesses; our door is across from a psychology office.

I couldn’t have asked for a better placement. The office has five rooms – the “green room” and its adjacent space, a large area in the entrance, a kitchen and the “blue room”. I like the blue room best because its colors match the ones in my room at home – deep turquoise and royal purple. We use the blue room to make important calls, read or meditate. It’s pretty sealed off from the rest of the office and feels so peaceful.

My desk is in the green room, so named for its soft leafy walls. There’s a giant skylight above me, so I usually adjust my desk midday, but the sun lights up the entire office so that we hardly have to turn on the lights.

Not only do I work alongside seven of the most welcoming, committed and knowledgeable people around, but I also get the chance to contribute to a truly fantastic organization. The REO’s main objective is to make Southeast Michigan a leader in “sustainable energy practices and polices” by 2050. (Feel free to check out our website for more information!) We are responsible for collaborating with 25 cities, Washtenaw County and their member representatives to plan and implement sustainable energy projects. I’m working on one of these:  “Solar Powering Public Safety”.

Solar Powering Public Safety identifies opportunities to install solar hot water systems on public safety buildings. Police and fire stations are especially equipped for these solar systems because they house community members who are (presumably) already respected, model figures. Further, stations are highly visible to city residents. If solar systems can be installed on station roofs, residents might feel more confident about using them for their own homes. Solar systems can also save stations a great deal of energy and money. Stations consume tons of hot water because they typically operate 24/7, and firefighters and police officers often live at the station (so they need hot water for showers and cooking).

At the moment, my role in the project is primarily to connect with our REO member reps, who will put me in touch with community member contacts. My supervisor Energy Programs Manager Jennifer Young and I will meet with these contacts to assess the feasibility of solar hot water projects across Southeast Michigan. We will collect information on station roofs, energy use, potential savings and more. This Friday we’ll meet with Highland Park Fire Chief Derek Hillman and I’m really looking forward to it! He will help me refine my baseline data questionnaire.

Because I’m commuting, I’m not in Detroit as often as some of the other students. I’ve tried to arrive early to walk around downtown and get a feel for the city. So far, when I drive there for seminars and group meetings, I’m so proud and glad to return. The city has a seriously cool vibe. I love just walking around and checking out the blend of new and old shops. I was a majorly surprised to find a Starbucks and Whole Foods behind our UM Center. I wonder if this is a sign of gentrification and what that might mean for Detroit. I’m curious about whether Detroiters can afford to buy groceries at places like Whole Foods, or if maybe such stores are displacing small businesses that might be there otherwise. The group meetings help me stay connected to other students and I’m especially excited to visit the Detroit Historical Museum and DIA! I still feel like I need to spend more time downtown. So far I’ve noticed a lively, exciting, adventurous and musical energy (maybe that’s confusing?) and I hope to experience it much more soon.

I’ve spent comparatively more time in Ferndale. I’ve walked around a bit and looked into some bookstores, a New Age-y place and tons of small markets. It’s a colorful place and truly thriving. I’ve met lots of dogs (and their owners); I love stopping to pet them and talk to new people. Ferndale initially seemed a little small – Woodward cuts straight through and seems to divide it a bit – but on foot it’s a whole new world to explore. I visited a Detroit-themed store across the street from my office, Rust Belt Market. Business owners set up their merchandise (almost like stalls) and you can visit their stores one after another. I’ve bought some mind-blowing bubble tea from Detroit Bubble Tea, carried out from Anita’s multiple times and bought my mom and sister treats from the market (key lime cheesecake and an oreo cupcake). I’m loving my time here and feel so thankful for this awesome opportunity!

Heavenly bubble tea from Detroit Bubble Tea (in Ferndale).

I feel comfortable in Ferndale and Detroit, but want to learn my way around. I feel driven to help forge tangible, visible and positive change in Southeast Michigan. This program has already made me even prouder to live here!

2 thoughts on “Week Two (2) Blog – Community Placement”

1. First of all, your blog post is simply wonderful. It reads like a story with its fluidity and great description. Besides you sweet placement, I think that the connections and observations your making about Ferndale and Detroit are quite remarkable. I myself, having lived in Detroit never though too much about the fact that their are Starbucks an whole foods in Midtown, but the question you pose about gentrification are quite interesting. I’m curious about it now. Great post!