Blog #2 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Blog #2

20150602_113056

I am working with an amazing organization known as Food and Water Watch. Food and Water Watch is a consumer advocacy organization that fights for healthy food and clean water for everyone. They fight against corporations that would put profits before people, while advocating for a democratic process that improves the lives of everyone and protects the environment.

20150601_123351

As many of us are aware, there is a water shut-off crisis happening here in Detroit. The last numbers revealed the water service of over 15,000 homes in the greater Detroit area have been discontinued, leaving over 40,000 Detroiters with no access to clean, running water. This is obviously a huge issue, given that water is essential to life, health, and emotional stability. The toll this crisis has taken on the people of Detroit is horrifying.

My project this summer would be to help my organization, Food and Water Water, and a coalition known as the People’s Water Board continue to strive for a Water Affordability Plan for the greater Detroit area. This Affordability Plan would allow for the reinstallation of service to Detroiters and a plan that would be financially stable/possible for low-income communities and the communities of color, which this crisis has affected the most. This work is very important to me because this issue is one that is also plaguing my community back home and the opportunity to work on this is not only allows me to help grassroots organizations and coalitions in Detroit, but gain some valuable insight, skills, and experience to help my community back home.

I have really been enjoying my time in Detroit! I was able to attend Motor City Pride this past weekend and I think it was a great way to see a community that I can identify with in a new place. I have grown and continue to grow closer with the other participants in the program and hear about the amazing projects they are working on. I am hoping to do more and see more as the program continues.

20150606_173454 20150606_183806 20150602_125201