Week 2: Environmental Justice and Detroit! – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 2: Environmental Justice and Detroit!

Environmental justice, as defined by the Environmental Protection Agency, is ” the fair treatment and meaningful involvement of all people regardless of race, color, national origin, or income with respect to the development, implementation, and enforcement of environmental laws, regulations, and policies.” Or course, people of color and/or low-income individuals are underrepresented in legislation and pretty much everywhere else, making them more vulnerable to  corporations entering their communities and polluting them. Communities with a high concentration of minority and low-income people and industrial pollution are called EJ communities and my org, the Sierra Club, works on helping communities like these.

such sierra. very club. wow

In particular, my project involves working with the 48217 (Detroit), River Rogue, and Ecorse communities to reduce toxic emissions in what is the most polluted area in the state! My project has provided me with a wealth of information regarding the intersection of public health, environmental sciences, and social justice. For one, I did not know that Detroit has the 4th highest rate of asthma in the country. Or that children are more susceptible to get asthma than adults. Or that African Americans are more likely to get asthma and die from its complication that their white counterparts. I could regurgitate all the facts and figures I’ve learned over the course of the week and anyone could come to the conclusion that poor people of color communities are suffering from environmental issues than majority communities. What I cannot tell you is why the government still allows companies such as DTE Energy and AK Steel are still polluting overburdened communities.

IIMG_20150610_162815407_HDRt’s discouraging to read about and witness the grim reality that many people in the Detroit Area are facing, however, I am pleased to know that the Sierra Club’s Beyond Coal Campaign is implementing measures to shut down the big polluters. The work is tedious, but I feel that it will pay off in the long run.

One of the measures we are taking are building relationships with legislators. In order to do that, we had a “toxic tour” of our target area and invited about 15 big shots to see the area of themselves. Even I was shocked by what I saw. These industrial buildings were in extremely close proximity to residential area, some homes even a block away from toxic sites. The most depressing image of this area was the juxtaposition kidsof a polluting factory looming in the neighborhood as little kids played in a park in the foreground. I was moved, and a little disgusted, most importantly, the politicians were encouraged to do something about this.

My post is running a tad bit long but I am enjoying being in Detroit. The hardest part is just trying to cook mashed potatoes so I don’t starve. Being an adult is hard.

1 thought on “Week 2: Environmental Justice and Detroit!”

1. It sounds like you are doing really meaningful work with the Sierra Club. I also had no idea that Detroit has the 4th highest asthma rates in the country. Do you know what the top three are? And that picture that you took of the children playing in the park with the factory in the background is very powerful. Do you think that the legislators will actually act based on what they saw during the tour?

Also, I know how hard the struggles of cooking are. It’s rough. But your mashed potatoes have looked delicious so far!