Week #3 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week #3

The everyday hustle and bustle of American Indian Health and Family services surrounds me as I sit at my desk, staring at my screen with music blaring through my headphones. When I take a minute to unplug, sit back, and watch the staff, I see their dedication, drive, and focus. Everyone appears to be on a mission, supporting one of the many facets of AIHFS. Yet, when I ask a question, they halt, more than happy to help. In fact, they do more than help. They have given me an immersive educational experience.

I have learned about health problems facing the native population, unfair research practices that often exclude the native demographic, and many other oppressive practices of western society. Furthermore, some staff have shared their personal frustration with the lack of education surrounding native culture. Many individuals have shared their frustration with the singular view of many Americans; our nation contains hundreds of different native cultures, each with distinct practices, beliefs, and histories that are not recognized individually.

As I learn about this, I reflect on my previous experiences discussing race, nationality, and culture in intergroup relations dialogue, learning about social justice in Michigan Community Scholars Program, and promoting cultural competency as part of Abeng Multicultural Council. Although these programs all aim to be inclusive, I cannot help but perceive a lack of attention focused on native culture and the systematic oppression of natives in our society.

Through this experience, I have grown proud to work at AIHFS. This organization’s mission and purpose addresses these problems and I am excited to work with them to do my bit. I’ve barely scratched the surface in my research and experience. This energizes me as I write surveys and design focus groups – I know they will provide more insight and allow me to learn more about the needs of the native population and the organization.

As I explore Detroit, I continue to be amazed at the city’s energy. I attended a concert benefiting an organization that provides referral services to the homeless. The performers, all Detroit residents, were amazing talents, performing music and presenting poetry. On other evenings, I went to a film in New Center Park, bowled a dismal 50 points, ate tacos carnitas in southwest Detroit, and explored the Detroit Institute of Art. I want to challenge myself to seek more experiences like this. However, I want to engage the people of Detroit more, having conversations with residents, exploring local businesses, and getting to know the people as well as the city.

Bowling to grunge music was a great experience at an alley just a few minutes away down Woodward.
The Diego Rivera Murals at the DIA. These capture the spirit of the city and the energy of Detroit.
The Diego Rivera Murals at the DIA. These murals just seem to capture the spirit of the city and the energy of Detroit.
Hands down, the best taco I've ever had and, quite possibly, the cheapest. Must. Get. More.
Hands down, the best taco I’ve ever had and, quite possibly, the cheapest. Must. Get. More.

2 thoughts on “Week #3”

1. I think it’s really important to take in what you experience and learn, especially with a job like this, and reflect on it and relate it to your own past experiences. That’s a good way of putting your work into perspective. I also feel the same way as you about being energized by the city and my work. When both connect and feed into each other, it’s a special thing.

2. Hey Luke! I was happy to read that you are now thinking more about “native culture and the systematic oppression of natives in our society.” This past year I wrote a few papers on these issues and found that they are extremely underrepresented in conversations regarding oppression and poverty. I hope these experiences will help you to more deeply understand the problems facing these communities so that you can continue to help!