Come As You Are – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Come As You Are

Voices for Earth Justice is an interfaith network of people that have come together to teach/learn how to care for our planet, provide a common space for the community to gather and evolve spiritually with each other.  No matter what your faith (or lack of), race, gender, age, or any other categorizing trait you want to lump together; you are welcome to the VEJ Hope House. Hope House sits one the corner of Greydale and Puritan. With every intention towards rehabbing the property, it was found to be unsalvageable. That resulted in the piece by piece deconstruction of the home that sat vacant for ten years. The home left a natural depression in the ground that water would pool into making it perfect for a rain garden. You can see the video here: Brightmoor Hope House.

Home to be deconstructed
2011. Home to be deconstructed on the left.
2015. The rain garden sit where the deconstructed home once sat.  The home left a natural depression in the ground that water would pool into.
2015. The rain garden sits where the deconstructed home once sat. 

Rain catchment, an ever expanding vegetable garden, an ecology center- these are just a few of the things already in place! Overall, it is still a work in progress, but it just goes to show that anything is possible when you have the support of a community behind you.

Its taken a multitude of people to bring Hope house as far as it’s come in these four short years. I love the fact that people of all backgrounds come together and form relationships (even if for one day) when they would have never crossed paths had it not been for VEJ. All in the name of love and service. A pure culture of gratitude and giving!

Volunteers
Volunteers
Volunteers
Volunteers
Volunteers
Volunteers
Volunteers
Volunteers

1 thought on “Come As You Are”

1. Hey L’Oreal! 🙂

I love the photos you added to this post. The volunteers look like they’re working hard and having lots of fun.

I think some faith-based organizations can be exclusive and (maybe inadvertently?) limit themselves to a particular group of people. I admire how VEJ is so diverse, welcoming and inclusive. Your title, “Come As You Are”, perfectly captures that warm attitude.

Your post reminds me of Gil Penalosa’s discussion at the WSU seminar last night. I think having safe, open public spaces where different people can come together and share an experience – especially a positive, nurturing one like gardening – is essential to building a strong community.

I love VEJ’s loving, supportive culture and I’m so glad to hear you’re enjoying your time there!

-Emma Planet 🙂