Week Four: Is Your Produce Ethical? – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week Four: Is Your Produce Ethical?

A key aspect of the work my organization does is around food safety and food quality, which means discussions involving food ethics, genetically modified organisms (GMO’s), farm factories, among other things and their impact on the environment are frequent. I am not well versed in these issues, but the culture around the office has made so much more aware of these issues. My office is fairly small, with only five people this is a very intimate space. There is an amiable independent nature, but little office dynamics become very apparent given so few people. So if there is any animosity or uncomfortable feelings between folks, it is very easy to notice. Needless to say, I try and go more frequently to the farmer’s market to support safe and ethical farming practices and the Detroit economy as much as I can.

My office, in my opinion, is fairly young. I would say everyone is under 33 years old, which definitely makes the office energy easier to transition into from all of my usual collegiate spaces . Given that I am the only person of color, race doesn’t seem to be an active conversation in my office, but I am aware of how whiteness affects how the issues concerning race are discussed in my office or lack thereof. My office’s energy is very productive, driving and passionate. I am thankful to be in an environment where there are things at stake, but also so supportive and introspective.

My organization is a part of a coalition known as the People’s Water Board. This coalition is amazing and there are truly some amazing members including folks who have worked directly with Rosa Parks. The energy of those meetings are incredible, but also chaotic. Although structure and timeliness are not the best at these meetings, people are passionate, welcoming, and active in their community. There’s comfort in knowing I am not the only one working on these issues, but am a part of a community of responsibility, accountability, and justice. It feels good to be here.