Week Six: Nine to Five – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week Six: Nine to Five

Hello,

This program has really gotten me thinking in the past week. Specifically about what I want to do from nine to five for 35-40 years of my life. And wow are my answers different from what they would of been a short six weeks ago.

Just six weeks ago, I would of been more than content to imagine my future as one behind a desk from nine to five, tip tapping away at a keyboard. This to me, seemed like the best way to work, a steady flow of labor five days a week. However now, after actually doing this for six weeks I don’t know if I’m so sure this is all that amazing.

While I love the work I do, the nine to five grind has to be by far the worst workday possible. Give me a 10-10 shift renting canoes any day of the week, at least I’ll be on my feet and moving all day. A nine to five however is an enormous ball and chain that just weighs down on your soul all day. Barely any movement, and the same monotonous work all day.

So as of I guess now, I have decided to work my darndest to not let myself fall into the trap of the nine to five desk job. Whatever means it takes, I am going to find a job/career/SomethingISwearToGod that minimizes my time sitting in front of a computer.

My Soul Can Only Take So Much.

2 thoughts on “Week Six: Nine to Five”

1. I understand how you’re feeling. I spend almost all of my time at work sitting in front of a computer too! That’s why whenever I get pulled into meetings, sent on errands, or given the opportunity to walk around in different neighborhoods, I jump at the chance. I’d also enjoy a job/career/SomethingISwearToGod that involves community interaction, movement, and as little computer time as possible. But look on the bright side. You’ve already made it four weeks, and you love the work you do!

2. This post is super relatable in some ways. One of my biggest struggles during this program has been how little I can be active or even go outside. I also am at my desk basically the entire 8 and a half hour workday. Once I get home from work, I don’t feel comfortable walking outside by myself farther than a few blocks from our apartment building, and because of my disability I cannot use the gym machines to work out. For this reason, I have really really missed just being able to go outside and move around. I love the work that I do and I recognize that most jobs out there will require that you sit at a desk though. The good news is, I had a 9-5 internship last semester where I sat at a desk all day, but it didn’t bother me because I could more easily get myself around and feel safe being outdoors after work. My best advice is finding ways to be active and to make use of your time after work to cope with the boredom that can come from sitting in the same place all day.