Week 6: Progress – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 6: Progress

Detroit Food Academy is going GREAT. From mentor meetings to participating in student-led activities I am having a blast. It is so exciting to wake up everyday wondering what activities I have to look forward to today. I have been exposed to so many different aspects of leadership, youth ideas, and even professionalism while working with DFA. The students are extremely walking and after the third week I feel inclusive in the Detroit Food Academy family. The youth are teaching me things I did not even think about learning in high school like how to organize teamwork and how to be a good team player. Although, almost everyone knew how to be a leader, the youth in the Summer program are dedicated to make sure everyone in the group feels important and has a task, which is an aspect of being a leader I was not exposed to at their age.

Students at Mentor SessionThe youth exercises the idea of accommodating for everyone’s want while getting the task done which is pretty amazing. While the youth are teaching me about leadership, the staff is educating me on adultism. As a intern or leader it is easy for the youth to accept your ideas as a template for their project. Giving ideas and structure to a youth-led project can not only close their eyes to creativity ,but it can also take away the youth’s voice. Although, most adults do not feel that they are forcing their ideas on youth but they see it as giving structure, we as leaders have to learn how to observe problems without fixing the youth’s mistakes. Overall, I am enjoying the experience with the youth and learning about your experience with DFA personally and professionally.