Week 7: Despite my Netflix addiction, I’ve done some cool stuff in the D. – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 7: Despite my Netflix addiction, I’ve done some cool stuff in the D.

When I think of my experiences in the city of Detroit, exploring bookstores, watching spectacular fireworks, walking downtown, shopping at the eastern market, and finding good eats, I think about how much of Detroit I have been able to see and how much of Detroit there is left to explore. However, when I reflect on the impact of my experiences outside the nine to five, I think of an impactful experience from the first few weeks of the program.

Many of us decided to go to a benefit concert at the Charles H. Wright Museum of African History. It benefited the Noah Project, a small nonprofit that aimed to use free lunches as a way to build relationships with the homeless. They used these relationships to connect individuals to nonprofits that could provide beneficial services. Although it was uplifting to hear from the agency and learn about their work, it was the artists that made the night impactful.

We were privileged to hear from several talented poets, musical artists, and choirs. Gospel, Motown, and soul complimented the rhythms and rhymes of the poets. Those that took the stage included Jillian Colby Webb, Al Bettis, Elizabeth Whittaker, Chace ‘Mic Write’ Morris, Thornetta Davis, Angela Davis, Jeff Nelson, and Amy Brown, and LaShaun phoenix Moore. It was the emotion of these performers that impacted me. I saw individuals that were passionate, lively, and resilient. Their voices joined in a common cause, full of love for this city. This was one of my first times seeing the character of Detroit. I don’t think that I will forget that experience. It remains one of my best and most impactful experiences since entering this community.

Here is a link to one of the performances that night.

Shameless plug: if you are a resident of Livingston, Monroe, Macomb, Oakland, St Clair, Washtenaw, or Wayne counties, please follow this link and take my community survey (it should take about 15 minutes and you will have the option to be entered into a raffle!!)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9KK3R6R

2 thoughts on “Week 7: Despite my Netflix addiction, I’ve done some cool stuff in the D.”

1. Definitely was a really cool experience, I think you did an excellent job writing about it. Time has gone by super fast, but its been an awesome experience thus far.

2. I’m glad you wrote about this experience, Luke! I agree in that it was a very impactful event, and that I won’t forget it. All of the artists were incredibly passionate and it was amazing how many people came together for the cause. Weird to think this was near the very beginning of the program!