Week 7 – Detroit Beyond the Office – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 7 – Detroit Beyond the Office

It’s difficult, if not totally impossible, to pick just one experience outside of my placement to write about. I’ve been having a lot of fun enjoying many of the exciting things Detroit has to offer, and there’s rarely a dull moment during my time here. Aside from getting to know the other people in the program, and exploring the city with them, living in Detroit has also reconnected me with great friends from high school who now call this city home, as well as more opportunities to hang with my cousins, who I usually rarely see beyond holidays and other family gatherings.

There have been Tigers games

And a friend who works at St. Andrews hooked me up with the VIP treatment for a last minute Pixies concert, where I had the perfect view from the sound booth

I attended Motor City Taste Fest, just next door in Royal Oak. Not a very vegetarian friendly event, but fun just the same!

I took Kaia, Dom, and Eva to the Lumpkin Lodge, a Hamtramak house turned music venue, to show off my very talented friends during a night of acoustic jams and good vibes (unfortunately I don’t have a photo for this one).

Another amazing musical event I’ve been able to attend with a handful of folks from the program was a free Andrew McMahon Into the Wilderness show. It was such a fun night of throw backs to my adolescence because he was kind enough to play songs from past projects like Jack’s Mannequin and Something Corporate. The preteen in me had the best singalong dance party of her life. We even got an up close and personal hands on moment with Mr. McMahon himself!

IMG_4762IMG_4777

Not to mention that time I saw a car that had been completely remade into a giant cockroach (feat. “La Cucaracha” as the horn sound)

It’s been an amazing 7 weeks and I don’t plan on slowing down! Big plans for this weekend include attending a DCFC match, FINALLY visiting Eastern Market and the Heidelberg project, and attending the Crash Detroit street music and arts festival. And there’s so much more I’d love to see and do before heading back to Ann Arbor! It’s time to write up a “final 3 weeks in the D” bucket list and start crossing things off!

1 thought on “Week 7 – Detroit Beyond the Office”

1. It seem like you have been all over the place! It’s great to hear that your getting an opportunity to travel around th City and see some thing I haven’t even been to nor seen- kinda jealous. Although, that is besides the point haha.