Week 8: I learn something new every (Tues & Thurs)day – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 8: I learn something new every (Tues & Thurs)day

Seminars have been an integral part of the DCBRP experience. At work, I focus on a specific set of topics from the perspective of my placement agency. Although I enjoy my work, there is certainly more to Detroit than what goes on at a single agency. Every Tuesday, it is wonderful to hear about a greater variety of topics for the perspective of other agencies and individuals. Every Thursday, it is great to interact will all my fellow DCBRP students and learn more about their placements, life experiences, and other pertinent information. From musical chairs to hearing from Metro Matters, these afternoon activities have always been engaging and entertaining. However, there are two seminars I think have impacted me the most during DCBRP.

Hearing from Amy Krings, a recent PhD student that wrote her dissertation on the effort to include a community benefits agreement (CBA) for the Delray community in the proposal to build a new, state-owned bridge crossing was fascinating. I faintly remember many ads surrounding the bridge from the previous election cycle. I knew next to nothing about Delray or the issue, only the little bit of information aired by special interests across the state. It was fascinating to hear the details of the current border crossing, the privately-owned Ambassador Bridge. Mr. Maroun, the owner of the bridge, has a reputation for noncompliance and profiteering. It must be part of the curriculum at Notre Dame (I may or may not have my prejudices and rivalries). The extent of special interest involvement was shocking, and it was interesting to hear more about the relationship between city hall, Lansing, and Canada. I knew nothing of this issue before this seminar and it was great to learn about it.

As part of DCBRP, all students run a Thursday seminar on a team of three students. Laura, Lucho, and I all met for coffee before our seminar, planning a time to prompt a discussion among all of us in DCBRP. Laura had an idea that proved to be quite successful. We watched a video made with Johnny Knoxville around the city of Detroit and had a discussion afterward. We had planned for this discussion to last about thirty minutes, but it lasted an hour. Although we weren’t able to get through everything we had planned, this discussion was very insightful and left me satisfied that we had started a crucial conversation. We discussed racial dynamics, the use of ruined buildings to represent the city, and the population flux of young white people into the city, among a myriad of topics. I was happy that our seminar went well and that we were all able to hold an insightful reflection on the video.

Overall, the seminars have been a great time to build a relationship with other DCBRP students and hear from community partners. They have been a great part of a great experience. This program would not be as well-rounded without these educational Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Shameless plug: if you are a resident of Livingston, Monroe, Macomb, Oakland, St Clair, Washtenaw, or Wayne counties, please follow this link and take my community survey (it should take about 15 minutes and you will have the option to be entered into a raffle!!)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9KK3R6R

1 thought on “Week 8: I learn something new every (Tues & Thurs)day”

1. Luke- I really enjoyed your guy’s Thursday seminar! I have seen the video you showed before, and it always makes for a fruitful discussion. I’m glad we had a chance to talk about the representation of the city and the very current topic of gentrification.